Migrate to Uk – Essential requirements You Will Need to know to Work in the UK

Over 35,000 people from different destinations such as Australia, South Africa, Canada and New Zealand decide to spend time living and working in the UK. Spending time in a completely different environment is a great way to experience new things, gain work experience, embrace a new culture and broaden your horizons. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as just waving goodbye and boarding a plane to Heathrow.

How do I get there?

If you are one of the lucky ones who already have a European Union passport, this article is not for you. Travellers with EU passports can not only work in the UK but anywhere in the European Union. Keep reading if you do not have an EU passport. The UK offers a wide range of visas, residence and work permit to make your dream of living and working in the UK a reality. Some of these options may even eventually lead to permanent residency, UK citizenship and a British passport.

The work permit system

The UK work permit system is an employer and location-based system designed for professionals or managers who bring value and skills to the UK job market. If you have a job offer from an employer in the UK and meet certain conditions, you could apply for a work permit. The main purpose of these visas is to assist companies in their international development and to hire key employees who do not have the required job in the UK. A work permit may be issued for a long period of up to five years. After a four-year work permit, the holder can apply for a residence permit / indefinite permit to stay in the UK.

The Highly Filled Migrant Program (HSMP)

The HSMP was designed to allow highly qualified people to move to the UK to look for work or self-employment opportunities. The Highly Filled Migrant Program differs from the work permit system in that you do not need a specific job offer in the UK to apply. This points system works on the levels achieved in five key areas: your education/work experience / past income/achievements in your chosen field / your husband’s, wife’s or unmarried spouse’s achievements. If you score 65 points or more, you will become a skilled migrant worker. Initially, the HSMP visa will be granted for one year. After the start-up year, people in the system can apply to stay longer but must remain active in the economy. The visa will then be extended for another three years. After a total of 4 years, it is also possible to apply for an indefinite permit to remain (permanent residence).

Working Visa

If you are under the age of 30 and are a citizen of the Commonwealth (former British Empire), the chances of having a work visa are high. The work visa is valid for two years and allows you to work legally in the UK for 12 months. This is a popular option among young South Africans, Australians and New Zealanders who are trying to gain some work experience while enjoying leisure time around the UK.

Permanent residence and citizenship

After you have spent 4 consecutive years in HSMP or your work permit, you may be entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence). After further years of indefinite leave to reside and once you have been in the UK for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization (the process of becoming a UK citizen). If your application is successful, you will become a full-fledged British citizen with the coveted British passport.